Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Roleplay #6 - Henri

From the corner of my eye, I spot a Mogadorian aiming his weapon at John. I can't let him be harmed... I don't know if he remembers one of our conversations, but I told him that if I let him die on my watch, I would never be able to forgive myself.
Facing the Mogadorian with new resolve, I have made up my mind. John is looking the other way, at a different Mogadorian's cannon right as I jump. The beast absorbs the blow of the first cannon and he turns to see me jumping. I see confusion, then comprehension dawn on him. He knows I am sacrificing myself for him. He knows it and I know it is worth it.
A searing, white hot pain rips through me. It seems to spread from where the cannonball hit me, filling my every inch with pain. I cannot go on like this. John pulls himself towards me and I try to stay alive. Every breath hurts, every movement pains me, I feel myself fading, fading, fading...
John pulls me into his lap. I smile weakly to reassure him that everything is okay, but we both know it is not. While reaching a blood-stained hand up to touch his face, my smile transforms into a grimace of agony. I am so glad to have been able to see John grow up. I remember when I first saw him, playing in the field with Hadley. How time has flown. Faintly, I hear John talking, bringing me back to reality.
"I'm here... I'm so sorry, Henri. I'm so sorry. We should have left when you wanted to."
"Shh," I say. "It's not your fault."
"I'm so sorry," John says, and he begins to cry. My heart reaches out for this kind boy, wise beyond his years, caught in such an unfortunate situation. I would have loved to see him with a wife and children one day.
"You did great," I manage to whisper. "You did so great. I always knew you would."
"We have to get you to the school," he says. "Sam could be there."
"Listen to me John. Everything... Everything you need to know, it's all in the Chest. The letter." I will him to remember this and the importance of my words. He can only survive with what is in the chest.

"It's not over. We can still make it."
I try to manage a smile but instead feel my eyes closing. He shakes me gently, and I will my eyes to open. Something warm runs from my mouth, and my body seems to get colder.
Focusing my attention on John, I continue as best as I can. "Coming here, to Paradise, it wasn't by chance." He does not understand, and I do not expect him to. "Read the letter."

"Henri," he says. He wipes the blood off my chin, and we maintain eye contact.
"You are Lorien's Legacy, John." My time is getting short. "You and the others. The only hope the planet has left. The secrets..." My speech dissolves into a coughing fit. I feel blood come out with it, and closing my eyes seems to relieve some of the pain. "The Chest, John."

He squeezes me and I feel his body warmth. It does little to help, and my breathing becomes weaker and weaker.
"We'll make it back together, Henri," I hear John say. "Me and you, I promise."
As I try my best to continue, my body feels like it is lighter. I begin to cough more. "Be strong... This war... Can win... Find the others... Six... The power of..."
The sounds of war are dimmed and John and I both know it is time for me to go. He places his hand on the side of my face and I look at his for the very last time. Slowly, John's face begins to become my beautiful wife's face. It is almost time. I will see you very soon, I try to say to her. In my mind, she seems to smile and nod with comprehension. I let out sigh of relief and reopen my eyes to see John again.
"I wouldn't have missed a second of it, kiddo. Not for all of Lorien. Not for the whole damn world," I tell him, smiling. And with those last words, everything goes to black and I know I am gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment