Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Roleplay #7 - Sarah

All around me are orange, licking flames hungry for fuel and wood. Eerie, loud screams reach my ears. It takes me a moment to realize they are mine. Each breath becomes harder and harder to intake and I realize the oxygen in the house is running out. Is this how I am going to die? Stuck on the second floor of my ex-boyfriend's house? My eyes shut as I try to block out the sounds around me. Mark's two dogs are with me. I am not going to die alone. It will be okay.
A loud noise comes in the direction in front of me. My eyes spring open and I see a sillouhette. Dark blonde hair and a muscular build becomes apparent. John! John has come to save me. I feel a smile reach both of my ears until a support beam crashes between us, and my screams start up again. John stares at the beam intently and it flies up. Confusion ripples through me, but John is already at my side. He helps me stand and gives the bulldog for me to hold.
"You came," I say, and can't help but laugh in joy. He's come to save me, this boy I am so desperately in love with.
"No one, and nothing, will ever hurt you as long as I'm alive," he replies. I feel him pick me up and hold me to my side as he holds the golden retriever to his chest. We jump over chasms and move as quick as we can down the hallway. John looks over at the window; it breaks open and I scream. Jumping from the second floor is a confirmed death.
I look at John and he seems unafraid. He turns to look at me and pulls me to his side.
"Hold on tight," I hear, and I am pulled through the window. I close my eyes but do not feel the glass or pain beneath me; instead, I see both of us flying through the window. We hit the ground with a thud and I land on top of John. Tears come involuntarily at what I have just gone through and I feel John's arms around me. I smell singed hair and realize it is mine.

Sirens come into focus. John turns to me and I cry into his shoulder, in need of his comfort. He sets me down and asks if I can walk.
"I think so," I say.
"Follow me."
He tells me he needs a change of clothes as we walk through the woods.

I decide to break the silence and get some clarification.
"What just happened, John? What is happening?"
"You were in a fire, and I got you out of it.
"What you did wasn't possible."
"It is for me."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
I see his eyes search me and a million thoughts seem to run through his head. I wish I could have a peek of what he was thinking about.

He takes a deep breath and I see he is nervous.
"I am not who you think I am."
Confusion courses through me.
"Who are you?"
"I am Number Four."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
He stops walking and I see a solemn, overcast look in his eyes.

"Sarah, it's going to sound stupid and crazy, but what I'm about to say is the truth. You have to believe me."
I raise my hand to the side of his face to provide comfort. "If you say it's the truth, then I'll believe you," I say quietly.
"It is."
"Then tell me."
"I am an alien. I am the fourth of nine kids sent to Earth after our planet was destroyed. I have powers, powers unlike any human, powers that allow me to do things like I did in the house. And there are other aliens here on Earth who are hunting me, the ones who attacked my planet, and if they find me they will kill me."
For a moment, I think he is joking. I expect John to say to me, "Just kidding! I got you!" but it does not come. After searching his face, I realize what he is saying and look into his eyes.
"You're telling me the truth."
"Yes, I am." I see a pleading and searching look in his eyes. This is the boy I love. He would not lie to me.
I nod and continue looking into his eyes. Relief seems to spread through him and his body visibly relaxes.
"Thank you for saving my life. I don't care what you are or where you're from. To me you're John, the boy I love."
"What?"
"I love you, John, and you saved my life, and that's all that's important."
"I love you too. And I always will."

I feel his arms around me and his lips upon mine. In that moment, I realized that everything would be okay - as long as I had him and we had each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment